If you’re having or planning to have a baby, it’s good to explore all the different options that you have. While most already think they know about conventional hospital birth, there are other ways you can give birth, including at a birth center. Keep reading to learn more about birth at a birth center!
What is a birth center?
Birth centers provide family-centered care for healthy women before, during, and after normal pregnancy, labor, and birth. It is a home-like facility, existing within a healthcare system with a program of care designed in the wellness model of pregnancy and birth. They are guided by principles of prevention, sensitivity, safety, appropriate medical intervention, and cost-effectiveness.
Who can deliver?
The majority of women are good candidates for a birth out of hospital. Women who choose care here are committed to maintaining optimum health and well-being during their pregnancies and birthing naturally. These women desire shared decision-making with their provider.
Some reasons why your healthcare provider may advise against a birth center birth are:
– Having a pre-existing medical condition such as a heart condition, uncontrolled diabetes, or high blood pressure
– Having twins, triplets, or higher multiple gestations (your babies may require more intensive medical attention in this case)
– You have had a previous history of having a high-risk pregnancy
– You have had a C-section prior to this pregnancy
– Your placenta is low-lying or adherent
– Your baby is breech
What should you expect?
If you’re planning to give birth at a birth center, you can expect a more hospitable and comfortable environment than that of a hospital. You can also expect more autonomy since birth centers have no standard interventions.
Watch this to learn about our approach to birth!
If you are ready to start your care with Sacred Roots Birth & Wellness Center, send us a message!